Purple Flag Week
Join ATCM and our accredited Purple Flag centres for Purple Flag Week (PFW) 2013 from the 21st to the 29th September, and celebrate the benefits the evening & night time economy brings to residents, visitors and businesses.
The Week will be packed full of events across Purple Flag accredited towns & cities, offering the opportunity to showcase the quality, diversity and vibrancy of our evening and night-time experiences, highlighting the contribution the industry makes to the UK.
The evening and night-time economy is valuable to everyone – visitors, residents and businesses. The 'after dark' economy is worth £66bn (Nightmix Index) annually to the UK, supporting thousands of businesses, employing 5-10% of the UK workforce, and seriously impacting local economies.
This series of events intends to capture people’s imaginations, change perceptions and encourage people to do something different with their evening in a variety of locations. Our town & city centres are changing rapidly and it is important that we support social and communal uses for our local centres and encourage a mixture of both activity and people to ensure a better night out for all.
"In Purple Flag locations across the UK there is an enviable offering for everyone in the evening, from families and older members of the community, to students and groups of friends. You will find a fantastic selection of bars, restaurants and clubs, as well a cultural offering with theatres, art galleries and live music venues. We hope that all our accredited centres will join in the celebration.” Martin Blackwell, ATCM Chief Executive
- PFW2013 is designed to raise the profile and importance of the evening & night-time economy with politicians and decision makers, the media, those who work in the industry and for those who visit centres in the evening. Together we can help change negative, stereotypical perceptions about our town and city centres.
- PFW2013 provides a national framework around which Purple Flag accredited centres and their operators can build their own campaigns; to grow the level of local understanding of the value of Purple Flag status and what the accreditation means for them.
- PFW2013 contributes towards raising the standards and diversifying the appeal of centres involved in Purple Flag across the UK.
- PFW2013 is to launch on the 21st September in Nottingham following their successful Purple Flag Week in 2011.
In 2012 over 20 locations celebrated PFW including:
- High Wycombe
- Islington, Clerkenwell (see also:participating venues list)
- Stockton Heath, Warrington
- Victoria, Westminster
>> Downoad the full Places and Events summary
Please visit the Purple Flag Social Network pages for regular updates on events and activities taking place in Purple Flag Week 2013.