Purple Flag Places -
Sheffield City Centre has undergone a dramatic transformation over the past decade which has produced some of the best public spaces in the Country. The cities essence is best described by the fact that you can be in a cosmopolitan city centre which has over 15,000 residents, two large Universities, a thriving business sector and a strong independent retail sector, all serviced by one of the countries first modern Tram systems and then within 15 minutes you can be in the Peak District National Park. The city offers a wealth of options for visitors which include sampling one of many quality restaurants or trying some of our fine real ales (Sheffield boats the largest number of micro breweries nationally). There is also a range of national and international cultural events, International Sports venues, museums, galleries and the biggest theatre quarter outside London; exquisite boutique hotels and attractions for people of any age on any budget.
The Assessors and Panel were impressed by specific actions, including:
- The Co-ordination of efforts in Sheffield through the partnership, and the development of a vision and its implementation through planning policy, strategy and action is commendable
- The City Ambassadors make a significant contribution to positive perceptions of city centre; they are friendly, approachable and knowledgeable.
- The degree of passion and commitment to the city centre by all parties, police, business, local residents, city centre management is to be applauded. This co-operative approach, and desire to improve a location in the evening, underpins so much of the activity and successes in Sheffield.
- The late-night offer in Sheffield is very diverse with an excellent mix of cafes, takeaways, clubs, theatres and cinemas providing a balance, and encouraging people to remain in the centre later.
- The public realm design, lighting, sculpture and use of open space represents a view that Sheffield is a very social centre and subsequently encourages a diverse population out onto the streets in the early evening and into the night.
- Sheffield is a really good example of how a clear vision and strategic objectives can help different policy areas contribute to achieving those objectives.
"We are so proud of what we have achieved in Sheffield and that this has been recognised nationally. Being the first city in the region to have gained Purple Flag accreditation is a great credit to partners and stakeholders."
Richard Eyre, Head Of City Centre Management
Head Of City Centre Management & Major Events
Sheffield City Council
T: 0114 2734704
Filesize: 414 Kb